1. What are the minimum requirements to join the Miami Police Academy?
You must be at least nineteen years of age, a US Citizen, have a valid Florida drivers license and a high school diploma or G.E.D.
2. What if I turn nineteen in one month?
You may be eighteen to submit an application however, you must be nineteen years of age by the time the Police Academy Class starts.
3. What if I am in the process of becoming a US Citizen, can I still apply?
No, you must first obtain US citizenship status before you can apply for the Miami Police Academy.
4. What if I live out-of-state and have a valid driver’s license from there, do I still need a Florida driver’s license?
Yes, you must have a valid Florida driver’s license to apply for the Miami Police Academy, no exceptions.
5. Where is your office located?
We are located at 350 NW 2nd Ave. Miami, FL. 33128 on the second floor (registrar’s office).
6. What if I already completed the physical agility test somewhere else do I still have to do it again?
Yes, you must complete the physical agility test conducted by the Miami Police Training Center.
7. Do I have to turn in the application in person or can I submit one online?
The application can be printed out from our website but must be submitted in person. You must bring copies of the following:
- - Birth Certificate or Passport
- - Social Security card
- - Valid Florida driver’s license
- - High school diploma or G.E.D
- - FBAT/CJBAT test scores
- - And a money order for $30.00, made payable to City of Miami, for the physical agility test.
8. What is the CJBAT?
The CJBAT (Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test), offered at Broward College, was developed to insure that trainees
entering into Florida certified criminal justice training centers possess the requisite abilities to master the curricula and
understand the materials that are presented to them in training.
*All candidates must receive a passing score on either one of these exams prior to applying to the Miami Police Academy
9. Can I pay for the academy as I go or must it be paid all at once?
All screening process exams must be paid on the date of the examination. The tuition for the academy must be paid, in full, within the first week of class.
10. What if I’ve been arrested before, can I still apply for the Miami Police Academy?
Applicants can't have a conviction of any felony or of any misdemeanor involving perjury or a false statement. Any person who, after July 1, 1981, pleads guilty
or nolo contendere to, or is found guilty of a felony, or of a misdemeanor involving perjury or a false statement, shall not be eligible for employment or appointment
as an officer, notwithstanding suspension of sentence or withholding of adjudication.
11. Do you offer financial aid?
No, we do not currently offer federal financial aid (FAFSA).
12. Do you accept the Montgomery GI Bill - Post 9/11 Bill?
Miami Police Training Center has been approved by the State Approving Agency for the enrollment of those eligible to receive GI Bill education benefits. Please go to the VA website below to learn more; https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_gibill.asp
13.What does the Physical Agility Test consist of?
See Attachment, Open
14.What is the total cost of the academy
See Attachment, Open